One of the most important lessons I have learned in my time at Phone2Action is that the biggest hurdle in customer success isn’t what you would expect it to be. While it can be difficult taking that 9:00 p.m. phone call on a Friday, the real work is getting the client to call you in the first place. Customer success is as much about making clients feel comfortable reaching out for help as it is about actually helping those clients. Here are a few tips I have picked up from our wonderful Customer Success Team on how to make that happen.
- Be proactive! Start off with a training on your product, or a meeting about your client’s goals and how your product will let provide them with the opportunity to succeed. One of the best ways to make clients comfortable is to have a solid first impression. You want to portray yourself as someone who is approachable and knows what they’re talking about.
- Have regularly scheduled updates with the client. Situations change – it is crucial that you stay on top of what is happening in the client’s world so you are able to respond. Is the company strapped for cash? If so, knowing well in advance of the renewal date could be the difference between saving and losing the account. These meetings are also crucial because they keep you updated on evolving priorities with your client, allowing you to shape how your product is used to generate the best outcome. Find out how you can use creativity to update clients on new releases.
- It isn’t all about work! Invite your client to events where you can get to know them on a personal level. For example, Phone2Action hosts clients every year at the Citi Open. This personal connection can be beneficial in a multitude of ways, not the least of which is a potential friend. Other helpful techniques for building personal relationships with your clients include following them on their social media and staying active in their journey with your product.
- Figure out what is important to the client and keep tabs on it. This is particularly important to us here at Phone2Action, since we deal with significant numbers of advocacy groups. Our Customer Success Managers are constantly tracking important updates, such as legislation that could affect their clients. With our tools, campaign reporting and tracking your metrics has never been easier. Rather than waiting for the client to reach out to you, consider reaching out with suggestions on how your product can help.
- Congratulate your champion! If your client’s primary user gets a promotion, has a child, gets married, or has any similar kind of achievement, reach out! Sending over a simple gift basket shows not only are you paying attention to what is happening in your client’s life, but you also care about them on an interpersonal level.
Keep your client happy by learning about the anatomy of a high-converting campaign page.
Customer success is as much about people as it is about product. Clients are relationships that need to be curated and tended to, so that when issues arise (as they always do!) their first reaction is to reach out and get assistance. A well-maintained client relationship can save an account and turn what could be a disastrous situation into a positive one.
About the Author
Noah Ramsey is a 2018 Civic Tech Fellow, and rising junior at Georgetown University’s Walsh School of Foreign Service majoring in International Politics. He first began advocacy work his freshman year when he started outreach with GU Votes, Georgetown’s voter registration effort. When he’s not tabling, you can find Noah grilling half-pound burgers as a Grill Master in Georgetown’s grilling society. He is passionate about advocacy and is excited to explore how technology can help new voices be heard!
Learn more about our Civic Tech Fellowship Program from Phone2Action’s cofounder, Ximena Hartstock.
Subscribe for Updates
Get the latest civic engagement trends, best practices, and news, right in your inbox.